Community Information & Resources
The Council's Community Team produces a number of useful publications, including the monthly Chatter newsletter and the volunteer directory.
There are options for transport to health related appointments in Christchurch for anyone who is unable to drive to a medical appointment. Read the transport pamphlet for more information (pdf, 703.6 KB).
Chatter - Monthly Newsletter
Chatter is a free monthly newsletter produced by the Community Team.
Chatter is written for the community and not-for-profit sector in the Waimakariri District. Its purpose is to support information sharing across the district and with other partners in government agencies. Chatter Newsletter is aimed at promoting events, opportunities and initiatives that will engage, connect, inform and empower local residents.
Chatter is available either electronically or in hard copy. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be on our email list to let you know when the latest Chatter is on the website.
Advertisers in Chatter must be:
- not for profit
- not exclusive in nature
- inclusive of all people, regardless of race, gender, religious or political persuasion
While we make every attempt to include your advertisement, sometimes, space will limit our ability to do so. Prioritisation will be given to:
- local initiatives/services/events
- initiatives/services/events occurring during the month of publication
- initiatives/services/events that reach broadest community reach and/or benefit
The editor reserves the right to decline content, where it contravenes any of the above or is not in line with Waimakariri District Council media guidelines.
The closing date for submitting content is the 20th of each month. Please note that Chatter is not published in January.
Listed below are a few guidelines for contributions:
- Ensure your files are no larger than 500 kB
- Please have your documents and images in print-ready formats, for example PDF or JPG
- Save your documents and images in portrait, rather than landscape, and A4 size or smaller
- If you are sending a Word document that is all laid out as you would like it to appear, please use a size 12 font, as anything smaller gets hard to read once the printed magazine is reduced to A5 size
- Please submit your contribution to the Community Team, email email@example.com
New to the Waimakariri?
As part of the intentional approach to welcoming new residents to the district, we have supported the production of Welcome Bags. These are decorated by local school children and Idea Services clients, then distributed via real estate agents, preschools, community associations and at libraries and service centres. Anyone with an interest in supporting the Bags can contact Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org
When you're new to a region it can take some time to work out where things are, and how things work. The New to Waimakariri booklet is available to help you find the basics in the region, and to get you familiar with some of the day-to-day places you may need.
Community events trailer
To book the Community Trailer please email: email@example.com - and let us know what date and event you wish to book for. If the trailer is available, we will let you know by email and ask you to complete the following:
- Fill out the hire agreement.
- Read the inventory and gear checklist.
- Pay a $50 cash bond to Kennards Hire on trailer collection, which is returned to you when the trailer is returned.
Please note the trailer is only collectable during the operating hours of Kennards Hire Rangiora.
View the trailer's inventory.
Department of Conservation the government agency in charge of conservation and protection of nature, as well as recreation opportunities including walking tracks and backcountry huts.
Ministry of Education this is the agency for everything to do with education – for example, if you want information about the school system, school holidays (and plenty more!) this is the website to visit.
Ministry for Women the agency working for women and promoting Women’s Rights.
NZ Immigration Service this is the service to contact if you would like to find out more about moving to, living and working in New Zealand.
NZQA this is the NZ Qualifications Authority. This has information about studying in New Zealand and can assess your overseas qualification.
Office of Ethnic Communities this department works for all the different ethnic communities in New Zealand.
Tourism NZ has information about New Zealand for travellers including activities and accommodation. It is also useful for tourism or hospitality businesses.
Welcoming Communities this is the latest government initiative to make its communities more welcoming.