Kā Riha


Bees and Wasps

If you have a problem with bees or wasps on your property, you will need to arrange for their removal as the Council doesn't deal with bees or wasps on private land. If they are nesting on public property Council will remove them. This can only be done once a nest has formed - not while bees are swarming.

Bees are collected by the North Canterbury Bee Club for new bee hives. Members of the club carry swarm collection kits in their vehicles. If you have bees you would like the club to collect contact the North Canterbury Bee Club.

Rats and Mice

The Council can offer you advice on how to control rats and mice, but again it is the property owner's responsibility to get rid of them, or bring in a pest control company to do the job.


Mosquitoes like to turn up uninvited and can be a real nuisance. They breed in still or slow-moving water. The following steps may help reduce the number of mosquitoes making themselves at home in your backyard.

  • Inspect areas for stagnant water
  • Empty buckets and containers
  • Clear guttering
  • Treat swimming pools
  • Keep fish in ponds
  • Remove old containers
  • Drill holes in tyre swings
  • Overturn boats
  • Discuss the problem with neighbours so they can also remove all stagnant water
Last reviewed date: 22 Jan 2024