Keeping Bees, Poultry & Other Animals

Farm Animals on Town Sections

Keeping farm animals on town sections is usually allowed - provided the animals are well cared for and are not causing a nuisance to neighbours.

Nuisance would be controlled by the Council using the Health Act 1956.

The sort of nuisance that can raise concern includes:

  • the animal wandering onto a neighbour's property - adequate fencing is required
  • offensive smells, flies or vermin caused by inappropriate management of the animal
  • loud noise such as a rooster crowing.

The Council discourages people from keeping roosters in the urban area. Roosters’ crowing is frequently a cause of complaints, particularly during early morning hours.

Bees and Wasp Swarms

If you have a problem with bees or wasps on your property, you will need to arrange for their removal. The Council doesn't deal with bees or wasps on private land.

If they are nesting on public property we will remove them. We can only do this once a nest has been formed - we can't do anything while bees are swarming.

Bees are being collected by the North Canterbury Bee Club for new bee hives. Members of the club carry swarm collection kits in their vehicles. If you have bees you would like the club to collect contact the North Canterbury Bee Club.

Last reviewed date: 04 Aug 2023