Kā Rori me te Ikiiki

Roads & Transport

Roading and Transport Responsibilities

District Roads

Waimakariri District Council is responsible for managing road safety in the Waimakariri District, alongside its road safety partners, the Police, ACC, Waka Kotahi (NZ Transport Agency), AA, Road Transport Association.

District Road Inspections, Maintenance and Repairs

Corde is responsible for maintaining the road network (in partnership with the Council) and is responsible for inspecting the roads and ensuring defects are repaired promptly. Corde is also in charge of carrying out regular cleaning of the towns and mowing of roadsides in rural areas to ensure the road and street network is well presented and tidy.

Street Lights

MainPower's responsibility is to maintain the street light network on behalf of the Council.

State Highways

NZ Transport Agency maintains all state highways in the district through its contractors.

Waimakariri Gorge Bridge

The Waimakariri Gorge Bridge is jointly owned by the Waimakariri District Council and Selwyn District Council. Selwyn District Council is responsible for the day-to-day inspections and maintenance of the bridge.  Any enquiries relating to routine maintenance of this bridge should be directed to Selwyn District Council, phone 03 347 2800.

Old Waimakariri Bridge

The Christchurch City Council is responsible for inspections and maintenance of the Old Waimakariri Bridge. Any enquiries relating to maintenance of this bridge should be directed to Christchurch City Council, phone 03 941 8999.

Reporting problems

Problems with roads and footpaths can be reported 24 hours a day, seven days a week to our Customer Services Team on 0800 965 468 or use Snap Send Solve.

Problems can include any of the following:

  • Potholes or other road failure
  • Slips or dropouts
  • Fallen trees
  • Spills or rubbish on the road
  • Blocked drains or culverts
  • Guardrail or bridge damage
  • Glass or debris on the road
  • Damaged signs
  • Broken footpath
  • Graffiti
  • Streetlights not working

If there has been a serious crash please contact emergency services on 111.

If you wish to report road incidents which are urgent but not life threatening dial *555. This includes such things as non-injury crashes, traffic congestion, breakdowns and obstructions on the highway. More information and resources can be found here.

Last reviewed date: 14 Dec 2023