Certificate of Acceptance

A Certificate of Acceptance may be issued by the Council for work that requires a building consent, but has been completed without one.

It allows for building work to be certified that was completed urgently because of safety issues, or if there was not enough time to apply for and obtain a consent because of an emergency.

Pre-Application Interview

The Council can decide whether or not to issue a Certificate of Acceptance, which is why a pre-application interview must be arranged with a Building Inspector. Before submitting an application, please phone the Council on 0800 965 468 (0800WMKGOV) to book your interview.

Applying for a Certificate of Acceptance

To apply for a certificate you will need to provide evidence – usually from a professional like an engineer – of how the work complies with the Building Code, including any parts of the work that we cannot inspect. Your application can be for all, or part of, a building.

The Certificate of Acceptance Application Form must be filled in, and lodged with the application fee. Other forms may be required by your interviewing officer, depending on the nature of the work.

Please note: Only building work that has been completed after 1 July 1992 will be eligible for a Certificate of Acceptance.

Last reviewed date: 07 Aug 2023