Certificate for Public Use

It is an offence to allow people to use part of a public premises that is affected by building work, unless the Council has confirmed it is safe to do so.

Premises affected by building work cannot be used by the public until a Code Compliance Certificate has been issued, unless they have a Certificate for Public Use. The owner, occupier or controller of the premises may apply for the certificate.

How to Apply

The Council will issue the certificate if it is satisfied that the building is safe for members of the public to use. We take into account any safety precautions that have been put in place. The certificate can be for all, or part of, the premises.

Fill out the Certificate for Public Use Application Form to apply.

Once the application form is completed and returned, an inspection is arranged between the applicant and a General Inspector.

Last reviewed date: 07 Aug 2023