Rates Rebate Scheme

Assistance may be available if your income is under a certain threshold.


The rates rebate scheme provides a subsidy to low income home owners and ratepayers on the cost of their rates. A rebate is required to be claimed during the rates year for which it is payable, therefore claims cannot be made for past years.

Eligibility criteria and rebate formula

The first step is to establish that:

  • you pay the rates on the address that you live at, and
  • you were living there at the start of the rating year (1 July 2021), and
  • your name is on the rates bill.

Once your eligibility has been confirmed, Council staff will assist you to complete the application form and calculate your entitlement using the formula that considers:

  • your gross income for the preceding tax year ending 31 March 2021
  • the amount of rates you are required to pay
  • the number of dependents in the household.

Testing your eligibility

You are able to check your eligibility for a rebate by:

  • Visiting the Department of Internal Affairs Rates Rebate website. Enter your income, rates and number of dependents into the calculator to estimate your rebate entitlement.
  • Contacting Council’s Customer Services Team on 0800 965 468.
  • Referring to the table below:

Rates rebate income eligibility table for households with no dependants. Estimate only.


What should I do if I think I am eligible for a rebate?

Although this is a government scheme all claims are made to the council where you pay rates. You may need to bring with you details of your gross income for the tax year ending 31 March  2021 including details of interest, dividends etc. Please refer to the table below.

Source of incomeEvidence to bring
Interest and dividends Bank or company tax certificates
Any payment from WINZ (Work & Income) for the full year No evidence needed for standard payments. Evidence of additional allowances eg. Accommodation allowance is required.
Payment from WINZ for part of the year only Confirmation of amount received. IRD can provide this amount of any accommodation supplement received. 
Employment Gross income for tax year ending on 31 March 2021. Your employer or IRD can provide this.
Self-employment Accounts for the tax year ending on 31 March 2021. Your accountant or tax agent can provide this.

How long will it take to process my application?

A typical application will take around 15 minutes and confirmation of the outcome will be given at the end of the process. If you are self-employed or have overseas income, allow a bit longer.

When to apply

If you received a rebate in the previous year we will write to you near the end of June to advise the procedure for the next years’ rebates.

Rebates will be issued from 19 July 2021 through to 30 June 2022. You do not need to pay your rates on the day that you get your rebate.

What information do I need to bring?

Bring your latest rates assessment if you have received it, and details of your income for the year ending 31 March 2021 (refer to the income table above). If the property is in the name of a Family Trust, you need to be named as a Trustee on the Certificate of Title, and have your name on the rates database. You also need to live at the property.

Where to apply

You can send a completed copy of the Rates Rebate Application Form to the Waimakariri District Council at:

Waimakariri District Council
Private Bag 1005
Rangiora 7440

Please make sure this includes contact information so we can get in touch regarding your application. For further information please phone 0800 965 468.

Kaiapoi Service Centre:

Contact the Customer Services staff at Kaiapoi, phone 03 266 9358 for an appointment.

Oxford Service Centre:

Contact the Customer Services staff at Oxford, phone 03 261 0015 for an appointment.

Rangiora Service Centre:

Contact the Customer Services staff at Rangiora, phone 0800 965 468 (0800WMKGOV), for an appointment.

Self-employed or overseas income

If you are self-employed or have overseas income please let us know when you book an appointment as it may take more time to process your application. Phone Customer Services on 0800 965 468 (0800WMKGOV).

Retirement Village residents with "licence to occupy"

Retirement village residents with licence to occupy agreements can apply for a rates rebate (Retirement village residents with licence to occupy do not own the property they live in but they do have a contractual right to occupy).

Being able to apply for a rebate does not guarantee you will received one. Eligibility is determined on your household income, rates (your village operator will provide rates details for you), and the number of dependants living with you.

If you have any questions regarding the rebate scheme, or the application process, please contact the Council’s Customer Services Team on 0800 965 468 (0800WMKGOV).