Pay it online, report an issue or request a service, submit on it, or ask us.
The Fencing of Swimming Pools Act was introduced to protect young children from the danger of drowning.
The Council has a range of community buildings available for hire for recreational activities, events, meetings and private functions.
The Council has 112 units in Kaiapoi, Oxford, Rangiora and Woodend for people over 60 with limited means.
You can share your views about the Council's plans and projects by making a submission.
The Waimakariri District Council is one of the largest employers in the Waimakariri District and has become an employer of choice.
Sports grounds can be found on many of the larger parks in our district.
In some cases organised competitive sport and training is the main use of these areas. At other sites, the open space is more often used for casual sport and a wider range of recreation activities.
The reserves listed below are categorised as sport and recreation reserves. For reserves with sportsfields, there is a map showing the layout of the sportsfields.
Game cancellations are the responsibility of the teams using the sports grounds - contact the team's coach to find out if a game has been cancelled.
If you would like more information on booking one of our reserves, please read the conditions and requirements on the Reserves booking form (pdf, 234.7 KB). For further details, or to make a booking, please contact Council's Customer Services on 03 311 8900.
Read the Flying Remotely Controlled Aircraft (Drones) on Council Parks Policy.
The Rangiora Borough Council acquired this land in the 1950s as new housing subdivisions were beginning to appear in the north-west of the town.Since the park opened it has been used extensively for recreation by the adjacent Ashgrove School and the wider community, with a variety of sports, social and recreational activities taking place.
287B Kingsbury Avenue, Rangiora
Park map (pdf, 54.2 KB)
The Cust Equestrian Group has a fenced area within this large domain. It features a full sized all-weather arena. The Domain's pavilion facilities are often used by the group. Access to the facility is available to all members.
111A-111D Mill Road, Cust
Dudley Park originated in 1925, and is named after Archdeacon Benjamin Woolley Dudley, the first vicar of Rangiora. When Park Street was formed, the Jubilee Memorial Gates were erected at the Park Street entrance after the jubilee celebrations. There are two plaques on the gates:
Dudley Park is the main centre of netball in North Canterbury, and boasts a swimming pool and squash courts.
45 Church Street, Rangiora (43 Church Street for Netball Courts)
Park map (pdf, 44.0 KB)
The North Canterbury Sport and Recreation Trust worked alongside the Rangiora Hockey Club to install a versatile artificial turf on the old netball courts at Dudley Park next to the skate park (area marked in green in the image above). It has powerful lights on poles in each corner for use until 9.30pm, and court markings for mini hockey and two netball courts.
The turf can be hired for a range of different sporting codes - contact North Canterbury Sport and Recreation Trust on 03 975 5556 ext. 0, or make an online booking.
The area known as Gladstone Park consists of two parks: Gladstone Park and Wright Park. For management and operational purposes the total area of both parks is referred to as Gladstone Park, with a total area of 31.9 hectares. The land for Gladstone Park was purchased by the Council in 1968, and the land for Wright Park was purchased in 1998.
Gladstone Park is a premier sports ground with rugby, tennis and netball being played there.
202 Gladstone Road, Woodend
Park map (pdf, 42.3 KB)
Council is preparing plans to guide development of Gladstone Park as a sport and recreation reserve. Keep up to date with developments on our Developing Gladstone Park page.
Kendall Park is a competition sports ground, with a total area of 13.125 hectares. Miss V N Kendall donated 4.2 hectares to the Ohoka and Eyreton Reserves Board in the early 1980s as a public park, along with funding towards its development.
The clubrooms and first playing fields were developed in 1983, and have been used since then for soccer and cricket.The Council added 4.9 hectares to the park in 1995, and a further 4 hectares in 1997 to allow for the expansion of junior soccer and cricket. An artificial turf was installed at Kendall Park in 2014.
Island Road, Kaiapoi
Park map (pdf, 42.8 KB)
154 Loburn Whiterock Road, Loburn
Park map (pdf, 50.4 KB)
This reserve was originally known as the Recreation Ground, and was used by the Rangiora Cricket Club from 1869 until the 1930s. Representative cricket is now played on this ground, and the Rangiora Miniature Rifle Club meets in the pavilion for small-bore shooting.
In 2005 MainPower signed on to become the sponsor of the Canterbury Country Cricket Association, an agreement that included the renaming of Recreation Ground to MainPower Oval.
216 East Belt, Rangiora
Park map (pdf, 38.6 KB)
Mandeville Domain is home to the Eyreton Pony Club and Western Riding Club. The pony club has a sizable jumping area and small arena spaces for rider training and club events. The Western Riding Club uses an all-weather arena. Both have small clubrooms. There is also an on-site ring at the domain which is used for rodeo events. The playground has been renovated and opened for use in July 2016.
431 Mandeville Road, Mandeville North
Thirty acres of land on the Ashley River bank was donated to the Borough by Mr Samuel Andrews in 1880. The park was named Maria Andrews Park in memory of his wife.
In 1977 part of the park was developed into a football ground and is now the home of Association Football in Rangiora.
300 Coldstream Road, Rangiora
90A Raven Quay, Kaiapoi
Park map (pdf, 43.6 KB)
493C Mill Road, Ohoka
56 Main Street/7 Burnett Street, Oxford
Park map (pdf, 59.2 KB)
Sefton Domain is located alongside the small township of Sefton. A 700 metre long oval dirt track runs around the outside of the domain and is used for horse training and general riding. Use of this track is available to the public.
2 Vaughan Street, Sefton
Park map (pdf, 40.1 KB)
Southbrook Park came into existence when the Southbrook Sports Club Inc. bought land from the Griffin family in 1946. The Council's initial purchase of land was in 1995 and 1996. In 1999 the Council purchased the Sports Club's land to make a total area of approximately 11.2 hectares.
The second clubhouse on the grounds was originally the Town and Country Club premises on the corner of West Belt and Johns Road. When that club closed the building was dismantled and shifted to Southbrook Park by the rugby and cricket clubs, and erected in 1997.
117 and 129 South Belt, Rangiora
Park map (pdf, 47.6 KB)
The Council is upgrading the car park and accessway at Southbrook Park. The work started on Monday 20 October and should be completed by Wednesday 23 December. During this period the accessway will be closed to the general public. Limited access will be provided for sport and recreation events. These groups are advised to contact their Southbrook Park representative if access is required at any other times.
For any further enquiries please contact Dan Lewis, phone 03 311 8900 or email email@example.com.
Swannanoa Domain was established after the Burgins, the first family to settle in Swannanoa, donated the land for the domain and the hall. The domain was used frequently for cricket and football over the years up until the development of the school grounds and the Mandeville Sports Grounds.
The small pavilion housed the Swannanoa Cricket Club and was relocated to the domain from the Mandeville Racecourse, where it was the commentary box.
The Swannanoa Fair is held at the domain in March each year.
1310 Tram Road, Swannanoa
The Tuahiwi Sport and Recreation Centre was realised through a ground-breaking partnership between Ngai Tuahuriri Runanga and Waimakariri District Council. It is well supported by the neighbouring school, pre-school and local community. The centre is located on Maori Reserve and Ministry of Education land. These areas were leased to the Council to form a suitable site for a community park.
Runanga leaders and others in the local community have been long-time advocates for a public park and sports field area within Tuahiwi. This ambition was realised with the official opening of the Tuahiwi Sport and Recreation Centre in May 2009. The event is commemorated by a plaque and sculpture close to the park entrance.
Main features of the outdoor centre are the multi-purpose hard courts, where tennis, netball and basketball can be played, and a sports playing field area behind the courts. A car park, toilets and attractive playground are located at the front of the park.
196 Tuahiwi Road, Tuahiwi
Corner Rangiora-Woodend and School Roads, Woodend
1 Sidey Quay, Kaiapoi
Park map (pdf, 46.5 KB)