Applying for resource consent

This page outlines the process involved in applying for your resource consent.

How do I apply for resource consent?

Once you have worked out that you need a resource consent, you will need to gather together the relevant information.

  1. Get an application form (also available from any of the Service Centres)
  2. Obtain specialist reports from a professional if needed
  3. Use our pre-application service
  4. Send your application to the Planning Department at the Council once your application is complete.

If your application is accepted you will receive a letter from the Council. If your application has incomplete information it will be returned to you outlining what additional information is required.

Pre-application meeting for resource consent

The Council provides a pre-application service where we will meet with you before you submit your application to help ensure your application has all the information we think is necessary. Pre-application meetings are voluntary, free and held at our Rangiora Service Centre.To request a meeting call the Senior Planner on (03) 311 8900.

You may bring any advisors or consultants who will be involved in your proposed development, or anyone you think would help you at the meeting. Once we have received your request we will contact you to discuss your proposal. This will help us to ensure the right technical staff attend the meeting.

Application forms

What is it for?
Affected persons written approval (pdf, 31.7 KB)
If you wish to submit written approval or opposition to an application for resource consent
Application for 224c certificate (pdf, 208.3 KB)
If you wish for the Council to sign off a subdivision as having been completed and all the conditions of consent have been complied with
Potential retail activities and the requirement for resource consent - preliminary assessment (pdf, 82.5 KB)
If you intend to establish a business or a commercial activity in the Waimakariri District
Land use consent (pdf, 40.9 KB) Use to apply for permission from the Council to use your land in a way that does not comply with the District Plan
Subdivision consent (pdf, 40.5 KB)
Use this form to apply for subdivision consent from the Council to ensure that any adverse effects on the environment are identified and dealt with
Notice of submission to resource consent (pdf, 148.5 KB)
For residents and ratepayers who wish to prepare a submission to a notified resource consent application
Variation of conditions to resource consent/time extension (pdf, 40.4 KB)
For applicants seeking to change / cancel the condition(s) of an existing resource consent and/or apply for a time extension on their application

Where do I send my application?

The submission must be forwarded (by post, hand delivery or fax) by the closing date to the Waimakariri District Council offices as stated in the public advertisement or notice. Your submission may be invalid if it is not received by the Council by the closing date.

Where do I go for help?

If you're unfamiliar with the resource consent process, getting advice at the start of the project may be a good idea as it can save you time and money later. Before you submit your application, we recommend that you seek advice and guidance from any of the following services:

  • Our pre-application service (for all complex proposals)
  • A resource management consultant, surveyor (in the case of a subdivision application), landscape architect or other specialist advisor
  • Legal and/or professional advice if the proposal is large or complex.

To find professional advice you can contact the independent agencies (see Associated Websites below for details).

Consulting with affected persons

When processing a resource consent, the Planning Officers consider the effects on the natural environment, and how the activity will affect other people's use and enjoyment of the environment. Before lodging your application, consulting with people who might be affected by your proposal is useful to:

  • Find out whether they are likely to support or oppose your proposal
  • Find out whether any issues they might have can be addressed by you 
  • Obtain their written approval for your proposal.

If all the persons who the Council advise are to be affected by your proposal provide their , your application may be able to be processed without going through the public notification process. This usually speeds up the consent process and also minimises the cost.

It is not always necessary for you to consult with affected persons, although you may find it very beneficial to your application. Please note that 'consultation' does not mean 'agreement'. Even after consulting with affected persons, there still may remain unresolved issues.

Who to consult

  • Adjacent land owners/occupiers and often people across the road
  • Anyone else affected by your proposal
  • Other users of the resource (e.g. users of a river you wish to take water from).

When to consult

The timing of when you speak to affected people is totally up to you but you may wish to consider consulting at the earliest opportunity, to give the affected parties time to consider your proposal.

Obtaining written approval

If you receive written approvals from the people/parties who may be affected by your proposal, then your application may be able to be dealt with on a non-notified basis.

If the affected persons approvals are not provided, your application may be subject to limited notification (where only the affected parties are notified). If the Planning Officer believes there are likely to be more than minor effects on the environment, caused from your proposal, your application will then be publicly notified.

Finalise your plans before seeking approval from affected people. If you revise your plans after written approval has been obtained, you must go back and ask for their approval again. 

Ensure each affected person (or someone who has power of attorney to sign on their behalf) completes the Affected Persons form and signs a full copy of the plans unconditionally. The approval of both owners and occupiers (if they are different) is required. Where the property is jointly owned, the consents of all owners, trustees or directors of a company is required.

Please allow a reasonable timeframe for your application. You may be able to change your proposal to meet an affected person's concerns and still achieve your own objectives.

Application checklist

The following information must be included at time of submitting your application. If one or more items are not included, your application will be sent back as incomplete.

  • Signed and completed application form
  • Processing fee
  • Full description of the activity proposed
  • Assessment of effects on the environment (AEE)
  • Scaled site plan – A3 is the preferred paper size
  • Recent copy of Certificate of Title (within three months old)
  • Affected persons consent forms (where applicable).

Application process: from application to decision

Steps involved in processing your resource consent:

  1. Once your application has been received by the Planning department, it will be checked for completeness and acceptance of consent. If details are missing it will be returned to you, along with a letter explaining what is missing and what more is required
  2. After your application is checked it you will receive confirmation from the Council with an official receipt letter (with reference number) and a GST receipt for the deposit paid
  3. Application is assessed by the Planning Officer processing your file. If the planner requires more information or needs clarification about your application, a letter will be sent to ask for the required information.
  4. The Planning Officer will inspect your site and prepare a report that recommends whether or not your application should be approved or declined, and whether it will be processed as .

The Council may decide to commission a report on some aspect of your application. You will be notified if a report is to be commissioned on some aspect of you application. You may agree or refuse to have the report done. If you refuse, the Council will continue assessing your application 

Assessment of environmental effects

All applications require an assessment of environmental effects (AEE). The requirements for an AEE are set out in the Resource Management Act 1991. You should also refer to the District Plan for a guide about what to include in your AEE.  As well, the Ministry for the Environment has prepared a guide for preparing a basic AEE