Rangiora Town Centre
Our vision for Rangiora town centre
'A town centre which is sustainable, prosperous, vibrant, easily accessible, contains safe and attractive pedestrian-orientated streets and spaces, with High Street as its heart in reflecting Rangiora’s unique character and identity.'
Rangiora town centre projects
Keep up-to-date on the Council's major projects on the Rangiora project updates page. We will also include information on private sector projects where this information is provided to us.
Rangiora Town Centre Strategy
The Council adopted the Rangiora Town Centre Strategy (pdf, 767.3 KB) on 21 September 2010. The development of the Strategy was overseen by a Steering Group supported by two reference groups - one representing town centre property and business owners and the other Rangiora town centre users, and sets out a vision, key themes that contribute towards achieving the vision, and specific strategic actions that will help secure the future of this important area.
In summary, the three themes and strategic directions are:
Providing for growth
- Providing for growth - intensify to the north and south of High Street.
- Cenotaph (Red Lion) corner - realign and signalise intersection
- High Street - reconfigure to two-way traffic and parallel parking
- Entry points from the south - create arrival experience through signage and roundabouts
- Parking management - address parking supply, restriction, signage, private parking areas, disability parking.
Enhancing character and quality
- Protect High Street character - protect character through District Plan changes
- Developments beyond High Street - direct style through District Plan changes
- Open spaces and places - enhance Blake Street car park and laneways
- The Council precinct - extend library and improve linkages.
Between the end of May and end of June 2010, the Council sought feedback on the RTC2020 Issues and Concepts Paper. We wanted to hear your views on the future of Rangiora town centre. We received a total of 76 submissions, most of which showed great support and enthusiasm for directions signalled, which are now reflected in the Strategy.
Implementation of the Strategy is under way. Stay updated with progress by keeping your eye on the Rangiora project updates page, as well as resources added to 'Rangiora Town Centre Research and Resources' below.
Rangiora town centre research and resources
In developing the Rangiora Town Centre Strategy, the Council undertook and reviewed large amounts of research and existing information relating to the town centre, ranging from community and business surveys, traffic and parking studies, retail and urban design assessments and more. Download existing information, other relevant project material and newly developed implementation documents that put into action the Rangiora Town Centre Strategy below.
- Background review reference report 1979-2009 (pdf 1.0 MB)
- Central commercial area business survey 1994 (pdf 4.1 MB)
- Commercial business and services report 2009 (pdf 116.6 KB)
- Community workshop, record of community views, October 2009 (pdf 198.6 KB)
- Community workshop discussion summary October 2009 (pdf 130.7 KB)
- Council report for the adoption of the Rangiora town centre strategy September 2010 (pdf 34.1 KB)
- Design guide for new commercial development in the Business 1 Zone, Rangiora (pdf 1.0 MB)
- District plan change 35 "Rangiora town centre urban design", decision September 2010 (pdf 3.9 MB)
- February 2010 newsletter (pdf 30.3 KB)
- Issues raised in workshops with steering and reference groups, January 2010 (pdf 33.9 KB)
- Parking management issues and opportunities RTC April 2011 (pdf 2.4 MB)
- Parking management plan RTC August 2011 (pdf 1.8 MB)
- Parking study 2005 update (pdf 1.6 MB)
- Parking survey report RTC April 2010 (pdf 1.1 MB)
- Parking outline January- July 2010 (pdf 26.7 KB)
- Project outline to March 2010 (pdf 95.2 KB)
- Public consultation issues & concepts - analysis of submissions presentation August 2010 (pdf 130.9 KB)
- Public consultation issues & concepts, summary May 2010 (pdf 546.7 KB)
- Rangiora and the wider Waimakariri District economic and business profile 2015 (pdf 697.4 KB)
- Rangiora pedestrian survey March 2010 (pdf 143.7 KB)
- Rangiora roads map for reference report 1979-2009 (pdf 241.3 KB)
- Rangiora pedestrian survey May 2012 (pdf 1.4 MB)
- Rangiora town centre community street review analysis report 2010 (pdf 2.2 MB)
- Rangiora town centre signage plan, March 2012 (pdf 1.6 MB)
- Rangiora town centre spending analysis update June 2014 (pdf 300.3 KB)
- Rangiora town centre strategy September 2010 (pdf 767.3 KB)
- Rangiora town centre strategy steering group terms of reference (pdf 55.4 KB)
- Rangiora town centre update evening presentation 24 June 2014 (pdf 6.1 MB)
- Rangiora transport study consultation report May 2001 (pdf 4.1 MB)
- Report to Council November 2009, Rangiora town centre strategy term of reference, project scope and budget (pdf 92.2 KB)
- Retail development strategy Rangiora and Kaiapoi , Public discussion report November1996 (pdf 2.2 MB)
- Short term parking origins and patterns study June 2010 (pdf 2.1 MB)
- Steering group and reference group members, roles and responsibilities November 2009 (pdf 21.6 KB)
- Strategy project urban design analysis report March 2010 (pdf 5.2 MB)
- Submission analysis report, public consultation issues and concepts July 2010 (pdf 232.6 KB)
- Vehicle occupancy survey 2010, 2011 and 2012 (pdf 109.8 KB)
- Waimakariri District 2010 business survey analysis report, Rangiora town centre (pdf 967.4 KB)
- Waimakariri District 2010 business survey analysis report, Rangiora and Southbrook (pdf 529.3 KB)
- Waimakariri retail monitor Rangiora, Kaiapoi town centres April 2010 (pdf 485.5 KB)
- Walkabout points of interest, December 2009 (pdf 509.8 KB)
- Workshop presentation, Rangiora a traditional Canterbury town, by Mike Cullen, March 2010 (pdf 2.7 MB)
- Workshop presentation, Rangiora community street review March 2010 (pdf 2.3 MB)
- Workshop presentation, Rangiora town centre commercial assessment, by Property Economics, March 2010 (pdf 1.1 MB)
- Workshop presentation, transport issue and opportunities, by Abley Transport Consultations March 2010 (pdf 8.7 MB)
- Workshop presentation summary March 2010 (pdf 79.9 KB)
- Rangiora Town Centre Economic assessment May 2010 (pdf 1.1 MB)
- Rangiora-Town-Centre-Update-2-September-2016.pdf (pdf 1.4 MB)
- Rangiora Town Centre Update 30 September 2016 (pdf 174.2 KB)
- Rangiora town centre update - 14 October 2016 (pdf 1.8 MB)
- Rangiora Town Centre update 28 October 2016 (pdf 710.8 KB)