Resource Consents

A resource consent is required when you want to build or use land in a way that does not comply with the rules of the Waimakariri District Plan.

When is a resource consent required? 

Whether a resource consent is required and what type of consent is needed depends on what you want to do and how it is classified in the District Plan. The District Plan provides rules and related information that will help you decide whether or not you need a resource consent. 

You should always check the District Plan before you make any changes to your property. The District Plan is legally binding and if you breach it or do not obtain a resource consent when one is needed, you may face penalties.

Activities which do not require a resource consent

Resource consents are not needed for some minor activities which are permitted by rules in the District Plan.You do not need a resource consent for permitted activities. However, permitted activities may require you to comply with a range of conditions or criteria. If you cannot meet these conditions, then you will need to obtain a resource consent.

Subdivision rules

The rules for subdivision and lot sizes can be found in Chapter 32 of the District Plan.

Important information for all subdivisions and changes of land use, especially rural subdivisions

The National Environmental Standard for Assessing and Managing Contaminants in Soil to Protect Human Health relates to land which is actually or potentially contaminated either from an activity or industry on the Hazardous Activities or Industries List (HAIL) or where a HAIL activity is likely to have been undertaken on that land. Please visit the Ministry of Environment website for more information.