Shed, Tunnel House, or Glasshouse

Do I need a building consent? 

A building consent is required before building a shed, tunnel house or glasshouse if it will exceed 10 square metres in floor area, or if it is to be closer than its own height to any residential accommodation or legal boundary.

What information is needed?

Specific information to include in a building consent application for a shed, tunnel house or glasshouse:

  • Site plan with shed, tunnel or green house and existing building locations
  • Details of the footings and slab
  • Engineered design details (tunnel or green house designs are generally outside the scope of NZS3604)
  • Stormwater disposal details
  • Irrigation and backflow details
  • If the building is intended for commercial use this could bring additional requirements.