Minor alterations

Do I need a building consent?

A building consent is often required for minor alterations to a building.

Generally a consent is required if the work relates to:

  • A load-bearing or braced wall
  • An internal wall that is made of units of material (i.e. bricks, blocks, stone in mortar)
  • Means of escape from fire
  • Protection of other property
  • Sanitary facilities
  • Structural stability (i.e. wall bracing elements)
  • Fire-rating performance
  • Access and facilities for persons with disabilities (commercial projects).

For minor alteration work that does not require a building consent refer to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment booklet 'A guide to building work that does not require a building consent'.