Restricted Building Work

Changes to the Building Act 2004 took effect from 1 March 2012 that you need to know about if you are building a residential dwelling. 

Restricted Building Work applies to most residential building or renovation work and only a Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP) can undertake or supervise the work.

If you apply for a building consent you must make sure the practitioners you use are correctly licensed to carry out the work. Licensed Building Practitioners include:

  • Designers
  • Carpenters
  • Foundation specialists
  • Roofers
  • Bricklayers and blocklayers
  • External plasterers.

Professional engineers, architects, plumbers and gasfitters are treated as Licensed Building Practitioners and can carry out some Restricted Building Work.

Not all work that requires a building consent is Restricted Building Work. You will find information on the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) website on Restricted Building Work.

Owner-builder exemption

Owner-builders are able to carry out Restricted Building Work on their own home. Before you can use the owner-builder exemption you need to complete a Statutory declaration as to owner-builder status form showing that you meet the owner-builder criteria.

The statutory declaration form has to be witnessed and signed by a Justice of the Peace or someone else authorised by law do so. This form needs to be given to your local council with your application for a building consent, or before the construction of Restricted Building Work on your home starts.