Overweight vehicles

If you wish to use a vehicle that exceeds the legal weight limits as stated in the Heavy Motor Vehicle Regulations 1974, you may need to apply for an overweight permit for travelling on roads within Waimakariri District. For State Highway roads you need to contact the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) to obtain a permit.

In May 2010 the Government introduced an amended Vehicle Dimension and Mass (VDM) rule to allow a new class of vehicle called high productivity motor vehicles (HPMVs). These HPMVs can only operate under permit and on specified routes.

Previously the maximum mass limit for a vehicle combination carrying a divisible load without a permit was 44 tonnes. HPMVs will be able to go over that limit and some will be able to be longer than current trucks.

If you wish to apply for a HPMV permit contact the Council on 0800 965 468.