Do I need a building consent?

A building consent is required before building a sleepout if it will contain sanitary fixtures, cooking facilities, potable water or is closer than its own height from either the boundary or a residential building.

If the sleepout falls under any of the below exemptions, you may not need a building consent

  • Buildings up to 10 square metres in floor area
  • Single-storey detached buildings exceeding 10, but not exceeding 30 square metres in floor area, constructed of lightweight materials
  • Buildings up to 30 square metres in floor area using a kitset or prefabricated building where a manufacturer or supplier has had the design carried out or reviewed by a Chartered Professional Engineer
  • Buildings up to 30 square metres in floor area where a Licensed Building Practitioner is to carry out or supervise design and construction.

The sleepout must be used in connection with a consented dwelling, and have smoke alarms installed.

Before you start building please make sure you meet all the exemption requirements

All exempt work must comply with any other relevant legislation, such as the Building Code, the Resource Management Act 1991, and the Waimakariri District Plan.

What information is needed?

Specific information to include in a building consent application for a sleepout:

  • Site plan including the location of the proposed sleepout and the other buildings on-site.
  • Stormwater discharge details.
  • Foulwater (sewer) discharge details if sanitary facilities are to be included. Note: if on a rural site this may result in a requirement to upgrade the on-site effluent disposal system.
  • Proposed smoke alarm locations to both the sleepout and any existing dwellings on the same site.

Note: Using a qualified draughtsperson or architect should lead to reduced processing times and costs.