Waimakariri Passchendaele Trust
In 2012 the Council supported a proposal to establish the Waimakariri Passchendaele Trust. The charitable objects of the Trust ('the Objects') are:
- To encourage an exchange of cultural values between the people of the district and the people of Zonnebeke in Belgium to commemorate their shared historical bond following the battle at Passchendaele during World War 1.
- To promote and advance the education of people of the district in the history of World War 1 especially in relation to the battle at Passchendaele.
- To undertake such other activities and provide such other assistance, whether by way of financial assistance/support or otherwise as the Trustees see fit, of a charitable nature for the benefit of the district.
The current trustees are:
- Mayor of Waimakariri District Council - David Ayers
- Honorary Belgian Consul for Christchurch - Lieve Bierque
- Rangiora RSA representative - Ian Thompson
- Kaiapoi RSA representative - Neill Price
- Dave Adamson (community representative)
- Michael Petterson (community representative and Patron)
- Gavin Bonnett
- Kevin Felstead (Deputy Mayor Waimakariri District Council and Portfolio of International Relations)
Meetings of the Trust are held as required and members of the public are welcome to contact the Trust through the Council office by contacting the Community Board Advocate on 03 311 8900.
Go to the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917 website.