Footpath Access to be Restored

Published: 02-Nov-2018

Work to secure the former BNZ building in Kaiapoi has begun, meaning barriers along its frontage will soon be removed, and the footpath re-opened to pedestrians.

The building suffered extensive damage during the Canterbury earthquakes and has since been re-levelled.  

Before Mother Nature shook it to its core, the building was a well preserved example of a large commercial building with grand classical features that were appropriate to a bank of the 1880’s.

Built in 1883 as a banking chamber and manager’s residence, the building has a Historic Places Category 1 registration and is one of Waimakariri’s Landmark buildings.

The building was purchased by Christchurch businessman John Shivas in 2015, whose aim was to save the heritage building from demolition. However John’s passing in 2017 means that a new owner will have the opportunity to restore the building to its former glory.

The securing work recognises both the need to keep the building in-tact, as well as to restore pedestrian access on the Williams Street/Charles Street Corner.

Work is due for completion in late November, at which time barriers will be removed and the footpath re-opened.

Name: Greig Wilson

Phone: 0800 965 468