Rangiora Project Updates
High Street streetscape redesign
A number of improvements are being implemented in the Rangiora town centre. This includes realigning and signalising the Cenotaph Corner intersection (High Street/Ivory Street/Ashley Street junction) and reconfiguring High Street to two-way traffic. Improvement work also includes enhancing pedestrian laneways and improving off-street car parking. These projects were signalled and approved in the Rangiora Town Centre Strategy, adopted by the Council in September 2010.
The redesign of High Street includes:
- Two-way traffic from Ashley Street to King Street
- Parallel parking from Ashley Street to King Street
- New footpaths from Ashley Street to King Street
- Feature paving at crossing points and points of special interest
- New street furniture, with the existing seats able to be refreshed and relocated to other parts of the district
- A raised paved platform connecting the current Post Office crossing point to a new crossing point to be installed connecting the rebuilt Farmers to the new North of High laneway
- Softening of the landscape along the south footpath with planter boxes and hedging at build-outs and crossing points
- Refreshing and rationalising the metal fences along the north footpath
- Paving, landscaping and street furniture will be included in the new laneway and the Good Street laneway.
View the parking concept plan (pdf, 552.1 KB).
Work to Date
Progress Update as of 3 November 2017
Rangiora Town Centre Feature Lighting Update
On Sunday 5 November Council will be carrying the last of the planned work in the town centre to complete the installation of cabling for the new feature lights.
Work to continue
This weekend the work on High Street will be focused around the raised platform at Durham Street and completing trenching work outside the Council offices.
Upcoming road closure
The next road closure is to be carried out on Sunday 5 November from 6.00am to 6.00pm. During this time the following closure will be in place:
Parking on High Street outside the Council offices will be fenced off and a pedestrian detour will be in place.
Both the High Street / King Street and High Street / Durham Street intersections will remain open.
The work this Sunday will focus around the area outside the raised platform at Durham Street (near Pita Pit).
Pedestrian access will be maintained along High Street. Should the work be finished early, then the road will be reopened.
This Sunday will be the last road closure. The installation of the new light fittings will follow shortly.
Thank you for your patience during this project.
For more information contact Joanne McBride, Development Manager, Waimakariri District Council. Phone 0800 965 468
North of High Street precinct
The Council is leading a project to develop a precinct bounded by High Street, Durham Street, Blake Street and Good Street incorporating new retail and office space, pedestrian laneways, public/green space and improved car parking at the Council owned off-street Blake Street car park.
The development of this plan follows a project outlined in the Rangiora Town Centre Strategy to enhance connectivity to the Blake Street car park, provide growth of the town centre to the north, and ensure character and quality of the built environment.
The preparation of the precinct plan was subject to stakeholder and public engagement and the Council approved the plan to be submitted to the Minister for Earthquake Recovery by 6 December 2014. The North of High Street redevelopment plan (pdf, 2.6 MB) provides more information.
Private sector redevelopment projects
There are various redevelopment projects underway in the Rangiora town Centre. While we endeavour to provide as much information as possible about town centre developments, the Council does not always have access to the most up-to-date details about private sector developments.