Overgrown Section

Untidy and overgrown land can be an eyesore. In the first instance, you should try to speak to the occupier or landowner. While we don't get involved in disputes between private individuals, if you believe vermin are originating from a neighbouring property, as a result of accumulated rubbish and food, we can offer you some tips on how to deal with them. Please review the question on rats and mice.

The Council introduced a Property Maintenance Bylaw in November 2020 to encourage appropriate maintenance of undeveloped residential zone sections.  The owner of any undeveloped residential zone property needs to keep grass and other vegetation within the property boundaries maintained to a length and in a condition that does not become unsightly on neighbouring areas.

If you think the issue is a fire hazard then you should call Fire and Emergency New Zealand as Councils no longer have the jurisdiction to deal with Fire Hazards. For more information review the question on How do I report a Fire Hazard.

Please contact the Council on 0800 965 468 (0800WMKGOV), email office@wmk.govt.nz or report the issue on the Snap Send Solve app.

Note: To ensure the correct location of the issue is recorded, please send from where an issue has occurred. If you can't, send us the Snap Send Solve with as much location detail in the content as you can. Issues reported using Snap Send Solve can only be attended to during normal office hours.