Hazardous Waste

What are hazardous wastes?

Hazardous wastes are unwanted chemicals or materials which have dangerous properties such as corrosiveness, explosiveness, flammability, toxicity, ecotoxicity or capacity to oxidise.

Household hazardous waste

The Council provides Waimakariri residents a free disposal service for domestic quantities of household hazardous wastes at the drop-off facilities at our transfer stations.

These household hazardous wastes (HHW) will be accepted free of charge from Waimakariri District residents, but we will accept only domestic quantities - up to 20 litres or 20 kg of any one waste type, and no containers (bottles, drums, boxes or bags) larger than 20 litres or 20 kg.When bringing in HHW to the transfer station:

  • Please label the contents clearly if you know what the contents are and the original label is unclear
  • Make sure that lids fit the containers tightly
  • Transport the containers upright and secured in the boot to that they can’t tip over and leak (for example, place the containers in a cardboard box or plastic tray)
  • Place any unsound containers in a heavy-duty plastic bag or bucket when they are to be transported to the transfer station, to prevent leaks in the car.

Hazardous waste not accepted at drop-off facility

We will not accept the following at a household hazardous waste drop-off facility:

  • AgChems or farm hazardous waste (i.e. more than 20 kg or 20 litres of any waste AgChem) - for disposal of agricultural chemicals, please contact AgRecovery or a hazardous waste treatment company.
  • Ammunition or other explosives - if you have such items please contact your nearest Police Station for advice.
  • Asbestos - this can only be disposed of under manifest at the EcoCentral EcoDepot in Bromley. See below for more advice on the removal and disposal of asbestos.
  • Commercial hazardous waste (i.e. more than 20 kg or 20 litres of any one waste) - please contact a hazardous waste treatment company to arrange disposal of commercial quantities of hazardous waste.
  • Empty agricultural chemical containers - please dispose of these at an AgRecovery site or another appropriate facility.
  • Medical waste such as syringes - please ask your doctor or other health professional for advice.
  • Medicines - all unused or old medicines can be taken to any pharmacy in the District for free.

Removal and disposal of asbestos

Working with asbestos can jeopardise your health and the health of your family. It is preferable to have asbestos removed and disposed of professionally. If this is not feasible for you, it is important that you follow the Worksafe NZ guidelines for the management and removal of asbestos.

After removal:

  • Double-bag or wrap the asbestos in polythene sheets
  • Seal the package
  • Asbestos can only be disposed of through the EcoCentral EcoDepot in Bromley. Please contact EcoCentral Ltd on 03 943 7513 for details.
  • Some decramastic roof tiles contain asbestos and must be checked by staff before being removed from your vehicle if you are at the transfer station. Approach one of the staff so that they can give advice on how to safely dispose of these. You may be charged cleanup costs for depositing material containing asbestos.

View WorkSafe New Zealand's Asbestos video on YouTube.

Disposing of hazardous waste in a rural area

If you live on a rural property and find a large quantity of agricultural chemicals when you're cleaning out a shed, please don't take them to the Council's household hazardous waste drop-off facility. Contact Agrecovery or another certified waste treatment company.

For detailed information about how Agrecovery can help you deal with persistent waste on your farm or property, please visit www.agrecovery.co.nz.