Running a Home Based Food Business

If you want to prepare food for customers at home, there are several factors to think about.

Your site and equipment

  • If you are renting the property, do you have the landlord's permission to operate a business from the site?
  • Do you need to apply for a resource consent? To find out, call us on 0800 965 468 (0800WMKGOV) and ask for the planning helpdesk.
  • Do you need to apply for a building consent? To find out, call us on 0800 965 468 (0800WMKGOV) and ask for the building helpdesk.
  • Will your kitchen equipment and storage facilities be suitable for doing the things you plan to do?
    Is there a place to wash your hands before you start preparing food?

Preparation and storage of food

  • Is there enough space in your fridge and in your pantry to properly store the amount of food you plan to make?
  • How will you keep family food separate from commercial food?
  • How will you store ingredients containing allergens separate from allergen-free food for sale?
  • How will you ensure that other activities at home will not compromise when commercial food is being prepared?
  • How will you transport the food safely?

Keeping food safe

  • Do you know enough to make sure the food you sell is safe?
  • Will everyone working at the business know how to handle the food safely?
  • How will you operate when there are sick family members at home?

Inspections of home-based businesses

  • As with any local food business operating from a commercial premises, an Environmental Health Officer or verifier will need to visit your home regularly to check you are following your food control plan or  national programme.
  • Details of your home-based business will be placed on the public register of food businesses.