If I have to evacuate, where do I go?

Following a long or strong earthquake or an official evacuation message - head immediately west of State Highway One if you can or to the nearest high ground.

If possible, make a plan now with family or friends who live outside the tsunami zone to stay with them if you need to evacuate.

In case of evacuations, Civil Defence Waimakariri will open Civil Defence Centres. Check the Waimakariri District Council website or Facebook page for their locations.