Affordable community housing
In 2009 the Council, in conjunction with the Canterbury Community Trust, built seven 3-bedroom houses in the Oxford Estate subdivision in Rangiora. These houses were built to provide a helping hand to young families saving for their own home.
The houses are available to rent for a maximum term of five years and are not intended as long term accommodation. Pets are not allowed in any of the houses.
Applications for renting the houses are assessed according to the following criteria, and preference is given to those tenants who meet all of the criteria.
- Families with school-age or pre-school children (maximum of six permanent occupants per house)
- With one member of the household employed in the Waimakariri District
- Combined family income of between $25,000 and $45,000 (as evidenced in last tax return) at the start of the tenancy
- Can own cars and other vehicles up to a maximum value of $30,000 at the start of the tenancy
- Can have assets, excluding household chattels, of up to $20,000 at the start of the tenancy.
The Council doesn't keep a waiting list of prospective tenants. When any of the houses become vacant they are advertised for rent in the local papers.