When you wish to build or use your land in a way that does not comply with the rules of the Waimakairiri District Plan you need to get special permission, in the form of a resource consent.

The Resource Management Act 1991 deals with the inclusion, change or cancellation and review of resource consent conditions. It is the main law controlling the use of land, soil, water and air, as well as subdivision and noise.

Getting help with your proposed development

The Council offers a Planning and Urban Design Forum to provide comment or recommendations on development relating to: Land use activities and subdivision proposal; new or re-developed buildings and structures; comprehensive development and matters relating to urban design.

The forum provides an opportunity where developers and Council staff can meet at an early stage to discuss key details and requirements related to a proposed development. 

To request a meeting with the Planning and Urban Design Forum, simply contact the Council on 03 311 8900 and ask for the Duty Planner or email

Obtaining service plans

To obtain service plans in the Council's road reserve, contact beforeUdig. The beforeUdig service helps contractors to determine the location of any underground services before excavating.

Contact details:

Phone: 0800 248 344

For any service plans on private property, contact Customer Services.