Need help or have questions?

The Council's on-duty building consent processing staff are available to answer your building consent related questions.

Where can I get help with my building consent?

The New Zealand Building Code requires a high level of detail and can present a challenge to those outside of the industry. You should speak to an architect, designer or builder for technical or design advice or help with choosing suitable materials.

It is recommended that applicants engage a design professional to draw up the plans.

Useful websites include the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment and Consumer Build.

Contact information for processing staff

Phone: 03 311 8906

Book an inspection

To book inspections you can phone 03 311 8900 or email the building consent staff at For further information on booking a building inspection, see our How to book a building inspection page.

For other relevant information check out these resources and organisations.

Resource/organisationAbout the resource/organisation
ConsumerBuildConsumerBuild aims to provide clear, independent and up-to-date information to the public about building, buying, renovating and maintaining houses in New Zealand.
Building Officials Institute of NZ A membership-based and member focused, not-for-profit charitable organisation, representing Building Control Officials in New Zealand since 1967. (All Waimakariri District Council Building Unit staff are members of the Building Officials Institute of NZ)
New Zealand Institute Building SurveyorsThe New Zealand Institute of Building Surveyors is a national body of skilled, professional building consultants who have a high degree of qualification, knowledge and experience.
Master BuildersRegistered Master Builders Federation represents New Zealand's premier building and construction companies.
Certified BuildersCertified Builders is an association of trade qualified builders who are committed to quality and craftsmanship.
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE)Here you will find information and guidance on building law and compliance, services including weathertight homes, and advice for tenants and landlords.