Building Unit Complaint Form

Have A Complaint?

Complaints with regard to the Building Unit's level of service should, in the first instance, be forwarded to the Council's Building Unit Manager who will decide on further action  to be taken in regard to the complaint. If the outcome is deemed unsatisfactory by the complainant, the matter will be escalated to the Manager of Planning and Regulation.

All formal complaints to the Council must be received in writing (email, letter or on the Building Unit complaint form below).

Complaints should be addressed to:

Building Unit Manager
Waimakariri District Council
215 High Street
Rangiora 7440

Or emailed to:


Our standard response timeframe is an acknowledgement within five working days and an initial response within 10 working days. Where the final response will exceed 10 working days we will let you know and keep you updated.


Where the complaint is with regards to a Councils decision with respect to building work and you do not agree with the outcome, you may apply to MBIE for a Determination. Visit for further information

Licenced Building Practitioners (LBPs)

The Building Practitioners Board (the Board) is an important part of the Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP) scheme.  Anyone can complain to the Board about the conduct of an LBP, as long as the person complained about was licensed at the time the conduct occurred.

To be able to make a complaint about an LBP you need to ensure that:

  1. The person you are complaining about was an LBP when the conduct occurred.
  2. The conduct you are complaining about should come within one or more of the ‘grounds for discipline’ listed in section 317 of the Building Act 2004.
  3. You can provide sufficient evidence to support your complaint.
  4. Your complaint is made on the approved form.

The Board cannot hear complaints regarding payment disputes; commercial or contractual disputes including employment disputes.

The complaint process and forms

On the Licensed Building Practitioners Website you will find information for making a complaint

Building Unit Complaint Form

Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).


When you can’t agree with a council's decision about building work, a determination can help you solve the problem. They are sometimes for when a council has failed to act or refused to make a decision.

You may have already asked MBIE for an opinion or advice about the same question. A determination is different because MBIE takes a detailed look at the specific matter and makes a legally binding decision. The law that covers determinations is set out in the Building Act 2004 (sections 176-190).