Which form do you need?

Building type/projectForm required
  • New dwelling/relocated dwelling
  • Outbuildings not covered by fixed fee
  • Dwelling alterations and additions greater than $5,000 but less than $50,000
  • Dwelling alterations and additions greater than $50,000
  • Multiple/group dwellings
  • Replacing an effluent field/septic tank
  • Hay barns and sheds <100 m2 (1)
  • Garage/workshop <54 m2 (1)
  • Minor residential alterations <$5,000
  • Conservatory <16 m2
  • Sleepouts <14 m2
  • Demolition or removal (of a building or part of a building which is attached to another building which will remain)

NB: Multiple/group dwellings covers a block of connected dwellings. Two or more stand-alone dwellings on a site require a deposit for each dwelling

NB: Some minor building work does not require a building consent. Refer to schedule 1 of the Building Act 2004.

(1) Refer to schedule 1(m)(i)(ii) of the Building Act 2004 for guidance on situations where building consent may not be required.


  • New non-residential buildings
  • Non-residential additions and alterations less than $50,000
  • Non-residential additions and alterations greater than $50,000
  • Amendments (to an existing issued building consent)
  • Changing something while the building is under construction
All amendments are to be applied for on the same application form that the original building consent application was made. Please ensure you tick the box 'Amendment to Building Consent' on the first page of the application form.
  • Cancel a building consent
  • Swimming pools
  • Spa pools
  • Solar water heating system
  • Solid/liquid fuel heater
  • Marquees greater than 100 m2

NB: Marquees with a floor area of 100 m2 or less are exempt from the need for building consent when used for public assembly for a period of not more than one month. See schedule 1, section 1 (fb) of the Building Act 2004.