Dumping garden greenwaste
Only CLEAN garden greenwaste can be accepted for composting.
Please help us to reduce costs by making sure your garden waste is free from rubbish before dumping it at either of our transfer stations.
Greenwaste at Southbrook Resource Recovery Park
The lists below have been supplied by Envirocomp Ltd, where we take greenwaste from Southbrook Resource Recovery Park for composting. Note: These lists are intended as a guide only.
Material acceptable for composting
- Tree branches up to 100 mm thickness (and shorter than 2.4 m)
- Shrub and hedge prunings under 100 mm thickness
- Green vegetative material, i.e. perennials, vegetable plants, annuals, fruits etc.
- Pea straw, clean hay, straw
- Grass clippings (but preferably not from lawns that have recently been sprayed with 'Versatil' or similar sprays, as these contaminate the compost).
Material NOT acceptable for composting
- Stumps, tree trucks or large branches (over 100 mm thick, or longer than 2.4 m)
- Flax and flax flower stalks
- Palm fronds
- Whole tussock plants, other stringy grasses
- Ivy (e.g. climbing ivy)
- Gorse in seed
- Cabbage tree leaves
- Complete loads of weeds with roots heavily contaminated with soil
- Soil and compost heaps
- Stones, concrete
- Plastic, glass, timber, metal objects (e.g. plastic or ceramic plant pots, trellises, netting)
- Material with baling twine/string mixed through it
- Oxalis and listed noxious weeds
- Mixed loads of rubbish and garden waste that cannot be sorted
- Newspaper (clean newspapers can be recycled for free)
- Animal manure.
Greenwaste at Oxford Transfer Station
At Oxford Transfer Station we accept separated tree and shrub prunings up to 100 mm diameter at a reduced charge. These get shredded on site, and the mulch is made available for local community projects. Sorry, we will not take grass clippings, weeds or green vegetative materials, nor any of the other unacceptable materials listed above, at the reduced charge.
If you have any material that you think may be suitable for composting, or would like further information, please contact us on 03 311 8900.Charges for dumping greenwaste can be found on our Rubbish and recycling fees and charges page.