If you are thinking of purchasing a
business that includes the use of an existing liquor licence, you will
need a temporary authority. This allows the holders to operate the
business while their own on or off licence is being processed.
The temporary authority allows a new licensee to operate an existing
licensed premises and to trade, for a period up to three months, under
the existing licence conditions and terms. This gives the new licensee
time to lodge a new application to be considered by the District Licensing Agency (DLA).
second temporary authority will not be issued unless a full
(substantive) licence application has been lodged with the DLA.
- The fee for a temporary authority is $134.94
- The processing time frame is 10 working days provided all the required information is included with the application
- Please provide two copies of the application (one original and one photocopy), complete, signed and dated
- A document showing ‘proof of tenure’ or ‘purchase agreement’
copy of the applicant's general manager’s certificate or a copy of a general manager’s certificate of any person who is employed by the
Apply for Temporary Authority
- Download and complete the temporary authority application form (pdf, 77 kB)
- Send two copies of your application, including all the required information and the $134.94 fee to:
Waimakariri District Licensing Agency
Waimakariri District Council
Private Bag 1005